Put quick notes into Obsidian from anywhere
I was browsing the Obsidian Reddit and noticed posts asking about workflows on how to get quick notes from different devices into Obsidian. To list a few:
- What do you use to quickly save notes to Obsidian on your Android device?
- Quick add note from Android
- iOS share sheet for links?
- Any additional app for fleeting ideas?
The problem with quick notes
It seems like Obsidian isn't a great tool for capturing quick notesThe Totally Unnecessary Way To Write Quick Notes in ObsidianWriting Quick Notes in Obsidian When using Obsidian I know that having more connections is better. So I often take it upon myself to use Obsidian for everything. Thanks to the plugin system provided by Obsidian, it personalizes the way I use Obsidian and allowed me to do many things that would otherwise be impractical (e.g. getting my TODOs from Todoist). But even with this customizability, sometimes Obsidian just isn't the right tool for the job. One example is writing quick notes into Obsidia. In addition, people also seem to be divided on their solution to putting notes into Obsidian. Some people directly put things into Obsidian, some use automation workflows (e.g. Tasker, iOS shortcuts), and others use a third-party app and sync to Obsidian with a script / syncing service (e.g. Syncthing).
It looks like many workarounds are being thrown around, but no real solutions are presented. In my opinion, a real solution would fit all the criteria below:
- Build connectionsconnecting ideas is powerful* encourages you to revisit old ideas and improves learning. * helps you discover new ideas through connections. * allows you to reuse your ideas in a different context. Related: notes/the brain is a network of ideas within the quick note (like in Obsidian)
- Lightweight quick capture of notes
- Supports all platforms (iOS, Android, Desktop)
- Automatic sync with Obsidian
- Easy to setup
So... I created Fleeting Notes
Fleeting Notes is a scratchpad for connected notes. It's a solution that fits all the criteria above. It runs on all platforms and supports a plugin that makes it easy to sync your notes to ObsidianHow to Sync Fleeting Notes with ObsidianFleeting Notes is a separate network of notes outside of Obsidian. The goal of this plugin sync both these networks of notes into one! Below are step-by-step instructions on how to do this. Note: If you are using Android, consider using local file sync to keep your notes synced. Installation / Setup 1. Before you begin, you'll need to create an account in the Fleeting Notes App. You can do this by navigating to the settings and registering. Fleeting Notes authentication form 1. Go to Sett. So check it out! I think you'll like it. :)
Also, join the discord channel if you want to follow my journey.